View / Show Hidden Files On Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 : The evolution of Windows, undeniably, changed the dimensions of the technology. And when we talk about the uses of the same the list goes on and on and never seems to be ending. Today, the technology offers solution to each and every problem and it is also the same with the case of the software.
It is important to note that the Microsoft Windows 7,8 and 10, by default, hide certain files from View for a reason. This happens when you try to explore them on your hard drive. With this, it helps and protects the important files from being deleted and thus prevents further damage.
Now, if you want to view all such files that are being hidden from the View. Then here is your quick guide for it. Just follow the below mentioned steps to view the hidden files on different platforms of Windows 7, 8 and 10. Read on.
How To View / show Hidden Files On Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10
How to show Hidden Files On Windows 7:
When you want to view the hidden files on the Windows 7 platform then follow these below mentioned steps.
- Click the ‘Organise’ button on Windows Explorer’s toolbar.
- Select ‘Folder and search options’ to open the same.
- Then pick ‘View’ tab at the top of the Folder Options window.
- Select ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’ under the ‘Hidden files and folders’.
- Now, click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
View / show HIDDEN FILES ON WINDOWS 8, 8.1 :
It is very simple to view the hidden files on the most-used platform – Windows 8. Just follow the procedure listed below:
- You can do it with the option ‘File Explorer’.
- Click the tab – ‘ View ‘ on the ‘File Explorer’.
- Then pick the ‘Hidden items’ check box in the section – Show / hide.
- With this, selection the File Explorer will show the hidden files.
- Remember that it continues to show the hidden files until you the change the settings.
HOW TO VIEW HIDDEN FILES ON WINOWS 10 :
So, here we have three different options to view the hidden files on the platform Windows 10:
- From File Explorer
- From Control Panel
- Via Registry
Now, let’s see how you can use the above techniques.
From File Explorer :
- At first, go to the option ‘Start’ and then pick the ‘File Explorer’
- Now, choose the ‘View’ tab
- Then, check the ‘Hidden items’
- Simply, just check the box to view hidden files.
- And the job is done !
From Control Panel :
- Select the ‘Start’ button and then right click it.
- Now, select ‘Control Panel’
- Go to ‘Appearance and Personalisation’
- Then pick ‘File Explorer Options’
- Now, click the tab – ‘View’
- Here go down and change the ‘Hidden files and folders’ setting to ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’.
- Also, remember that you can also wish to uncheck the ‘Hide protected operating system files’ box as well.
With The Help Of Registry :
- When you choose to view the hidden files via registry then at first, hold the ‘Windows’ key and then press ‘ R ’.
- With this, you will come across the dialog box ‘ Run ‘
- Now, press Enter after typing ‘ regedit ’.
- Now, navigate the below mentioned locations –
- Now set the value for ‘ Hidden ’ to ‘ 1 ‘ to show the hidden files, drives and folders.
- Then, set the value for ‘Hidden’ to ‘2’ to not show the hidden files, drives and folders.
- Also, the user can set the value for ‘ShowSuperHidden’ to ‘1’ to show protected operating system files.
- Then, set the value for the same to ‘2’ to not show protected operating system files.
VIEW PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES ON WINDOWS 7, 8 AND 10 :
It is important to note that the Windows will boast two different types of hidden files. They are –
- Normal Hidden items
- Protected operating system files
When the user shows hidden files and folders, the windows will continue to hide the protected operating system files. And these are nothing but the ‘Hidden files with the system’ attribute. And they are protected for a particular purpose and reason. The modification or deleting of these files will damage the operating system of the computer and also can make the Windows ‘ unbootable ’. So, if you are willing to view such important files of the protected operating system then you can do it by changing the settings. ( But be careful while handling these important files )
Here is the step by step procedure to view the protected operating system files on platforms – Windows 7, 8 and 10. Check out:
- At first, open the ‘Folder Options’ window.
- Click the ‘Options’ button on the View toolbar of the platforms – Windows 8 and 10.
- And on Windows 7, click Organise and then the Folder and Search options.
- Here the Windows will send a warning note saying the deleting or editing of ‘ Protected Operating System Files ‘ could damage the operating of your system.
- If you want to view the files, then click ‘Yes’ to continue for the same.
- Now, save the settings by clicking ‘OK’.
- With this, the Windows will show you the both – Protected Operating System Files and Normal Hidden Files.
- Then, return to the Folder Options windows.
- Now, re-enable the ‘Hide Protected Operating System Files’ checkbox if you ever want to hide these files yet again.
So, these are the techniques to view the hidden files, folders and drives on your required platforms – Windows 7, 8 and 10. Remember that if you choose to view the ‘Protected Operating System Files’, then it is important to know the consequences of viewing them.